Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Right in My Own Backyard





Happy Monday! (Ok, so it's now Tuesday, but I was having problems uploading photos to my blog yesterday, so I created a new post altogether). Either way, it was of course another beautiful weekend and you know what that means.... the perfect opportunity to take photos. I was thinking yesterday, just how unbelievable it is the amount of photos I already have and my daughter is barely a year old. I couldn't begin to imagine the number I will have by the time she is 10. I admit it, I am one of those people who takes photos of everything, and of course this is my first child. I am never without my trusty camera, you just never know when you might stumble upon the perfect photo op. "She with the most photos in the end WINS!!!!"

Ok, so have you ever had something so wonderful right in your own backyard and didn't even know it? Last Sunday after church, we were on our way home and like every Sunday we passed a sign for Caswell State Park. Now I have lived in Manteca for about 22 years, and the last time I went out to Caswell was well over 10 years ago. After all this time, I had this crazy itch to check it out once again.

My hubby grew up in the nearby town of Escalon, and I was kind of surprised that he had never been there (since he's been everywhere else). Well, he loves to fish, so of course I knew what he was thinking....."did somebody say fishing???" As planned, after church on Sunday we headed off to Caswell. I still can't get over the fact that this fabulous park is only a 10 minute drive from our house. It is tucked away way out at the end of a country road in the small (neighboring) town of Ripon, right on the Stanislaus River. There was in fact plenty to do, with the sandy beaches, swimming, tubing, picknicking, fishing and miles of hiking trails. Caswell's 258 acres is considered to be one of California's finest examples of a Mature Oak Riparian Forest.

Somewhere in the enjoyment of my afternoon, I took a moment to appreciate the most perfect and peaceful nature of Caswell. It's funny how we sometimes overlook what is often right in front of us. How I had forgotten the beauty of Caswell State Park....and there it was all along right in my own backyard. Needless to say we had a great time. As usual, I took many photos to remember the day. I couldn't think of a better way to spend the afternoon than with Family, yummies (Bella's first chocolate chip cookie experience) and KP even caught a few fish! For an ordinary Sunday afternoon, Caswell proved to be the icing on the cake and I can't wait to return.....

No comments: